Eclectic Floridian: Wiretaps - Judicial Review - Smell a rat?

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Wiretaps - Judicial Review - Smell a rat?

Let me see if I've got this straight ...

The President is going to agree to a review of Warrantless Wiretaps.

The review will be conducted by the FISA Court of Review.

The judges of that court will be appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, a recent Bush appointee.

The (puppet) Court of Review will review the legality of Warrantless Wiretaps, and, if illegal, no one will be held responsible. That's the way I read the agreement, correct me if I'm wrong.

New legislation will be passed to give the president the OPTION of FISA review and extend after-the-fact warrants from 3 to 7 days.

To summarize, the Prez will get:

1) a review to see if he's broken a law
2) if he has he won't be punished
3) his new appointee will appoint the judges doing the review
3) this review covers actions the Prez says are his perogative
4) the review is to be done by a group the Prez says have no authority over him
5) FISA rules, which the Prez doesn't acknowledge, will be modified so he can use them if he wants, or not if he doesn't.
6) we get a law that _allows_ the Prez to use FISA, which he could have done anytime without breaking the law
7) even if he doesn't like the new law, he can nullify it with a signing statement.

Gee, I think something may be wrong here. Whaddya think?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not getting acccess to any of this detail. Where are you getting it, I want to update my own blog if this is another Specter smoke and mirrors job.

7/13/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger CWhite said...

Michael;

I'm sorry for the late reply to this comment. I received an email including your questions.

My reply to that email provided substantiation of my comments via href="http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/" The Washington Monthly

7/17/2006 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

statistics